Not to brag, but we’re kinda candle experts.
(CANDLE) SAFETY FIRST
A burning candle jar gets burning hot. You won't want to touch it once it's going so choose your location before lighting. It should be a good distance from anything that could catch fire and also clear from open windows, or any other air flow show offs. You won't want any curtains, lose papers, or your hair blowing into the flame. Plus, think about toddlers, cats on counters, and dogs that hit everything when they wag their tail; plan accordingly. Don't light it and leave it, light it and forget it, light it and fall asleep, or light it and get preoccupied. Your candle needs attention. Imagine worst case scenarios and be proactive.
Start your candle off right.
The first time you light your candle, make sure to burn it until the wax melts all the way around the edges. This should take about 2 hours. Otherwise that unmelted part will have a hard time catching up. The wax will keep melting deeper instead of wider and you get a tunneling candle. Tunneling equals wasted wax and a candle that doesn't live up to it's potential, so let us know if you ever have one. The ideal burn time to make your candle last as long as possible is about 2-3 hours every time.
Keep it nice, candle maintenance
Give it a wick trim. Every time. Sure, maybe it's not life of death, but it does do good things for your candle, like keep the flame reasonable for a slow burn, and if you do your candle wick trimming with candle wick trimmers, you can keep all that nasty ash from falling in (unlike regular scissors 💁🏼♀️). A wick that gets too long can become top heavy and then there's a chance of it tipping. It might just get off center, it might fall all the way into the melted wax, or even burn too close to the jar wall making dangerous hot spots.
Keep your candle (jar) around.
After the burn, the easiest and safest way to remove the remaining wax, is to put your candle in the freezer overnight, or at least for a few hours. This will cause the wax to shrink up and you should be able to use some type of kitchen utensil to knock it loose. Extremely thin areas might need to be scraped with said kitchen utensil. Rub any kind of cooking oil on the inside of the jar to remove the waxy residue, then just wash with soap and water as usual. Any leftover wax is perfect for wax warmers. Damaged your label? We’ll send you a new one.
Want to learn more about our candles?
Check out our blog for info on beeswax candles, where our wax comes from, and candles in general!